Monday, January 18, 2016

Rain Rain Rain

     Rain rain rain here in California! I woke up to it and fell asleep to it every day this week. I love the rain, but I do miss the sunshine. 
     We got to go to Zone Conference in San Francisco! We had to wake up way early, but the drive over the Bay Bridge covered in fog was totally worth it. It was way more exciting and beautiful than it should have been, I was freaking out. It was Sister Zhong's first time to San Francisco and she was in awe. She loved it. She goes, "It looks just like Hong Kong!" haha So Zone Conference is a lot like a fireside/classes where we receive training. I was expecting it to be really uplifting and spiritual, like a devotional. Instead, it was a lot of training and lectures and pressure and responsibility and I got so stressed out. I think if I would have gone in with a different mindset, like the mindset that I was going to receive training and guidance, it would have gone differently. I was expecting a "Good job! Keep up the good work!" and instead I got a "You arent working hard enough. You arent being exactly obedient." The Spirit was definitely teaching me and telling me what I needed to work on. It was extremely hard to hear and stressed me out way bad. Once I was able to take a deep breath and sleep on it, I decided to let this experience motivate me to change and work harder. I am feeling much better now, but only because I turned to the Savior and asked for His help. Theres no way I could do this on my own. 
     The Poulsen's (The Visitors' Center Director and his wife) left today, so that was sad :( I only got to serve with them for 4 months, but they are incredible people. They live in Logan, Utah, so I will totally see them when I go back to school. I am excited to meet the couple replacing them, the Wards! So exciting! 
     So I had this killer knot in my back for the past 3 weeks. I kept trying to have people rub it out but nothing was helping. I started getting headaches from the pain and couldn't sleep! I lost feeling in my left arm and decided to go to the chiropractor. I showed her where the knot was and it wasn't a knot..my rib had popped out of place haha. So she popped it back into place and now everything is good! It's a little swollen, but it feels much better. I asked her what causes that and she said it just happens sometimes... weird.  Updates on people:
Keith's baptismal date got pushed back because he smoked.
Tori's date is still February 6
Emily picked a date, February 13th!
We dropped Ron. He doesnt understand the restoration and keeps going on and on about his visions where God told him that he has been chosen to unite all the religions. He came to church yesterday though so who knows.
     The work is slow. The Visitors Center is slow. They actually cut our hours at the VC so we have more time in our area, San Lorenzo. One day we spent the whole day trying to contact former investigators and no one home and it was raining and I was tired and my back hurt and nothing nothing nothing. I was pretty done. That night I was reading my scriptures and I came across this in Acts: 
     Doing missionary work, Peter and John got stoned and arrested and cast into prison and brought before a council. They were commanded that they were to not speak of Jesus Christ anymore. These verses follow: 
"And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to bear shame for his name. And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ." Acts 5:41-42
      I was absolutely overcome and I broke down in sobs. Here are two men who have dedicated their lives to missionary work and they were stoned and arrested and cast into prison. They were brought before a council and commanded not to even SPEAK of Jesus Christ. Then what do they do? Do they quit? Give up? Go home? Cry? Whine? Feel sorry for themselves? Complain? Nope. Not for a second. The minute they left, they REJOICED that they were counted worthy to bear SHAME for Jesus Christ. And they kept teaching in EVERY house. Wow. I was overcome with humility at these Apostles dedication and love for the gospel and the Savior. They demonstrated perfect hope and faith and hard work. I hope I can get to the point where I truly forget myself and go to work, where I have complete faith in the Savior, where I rejoice that I am counted worthy to bear shame for His name.
      I love the Savior. I testify that He is the Christ. There are miracles happening all around us. He is the Prince of Peace. The world cannot provide the peace that the Savior can. 
"Peace can come to an individual only by an unconditional surrender --surrender to Him who is the Prince of Peace, who has the power to confer peace."
 Have a happy happy week. 
I love you.
Sister Brinton.

Sister Nistler
Sister Benosa
Elder Poulsen
Chinese Market
Thanks for the cute shirt ellie!! :)


Brother and Sister Paulsen
rolling sushi



No comments:

Post a Comment